Mug Printing Business Plan Profit Investment
Mug printing business is gaining a lot of popularity in present time. People select to print their personalized photos on mugs. They also look very much personalized and are ideal to be gifted by anyone and on any occasion. You may find many online websites that offer you with complete details of how to get started with this business plan at home. This business does not require much investment and anyone can learn DIY coffee mug printing at home. You just need to follow few simple instructions to get started.
In this article we shall get familiar with few important basics of mug printing business plan and DIY getting started methods.
Types of Mug printing
To get started with mug printing you can use different types of techniques. Mostly making the selecting of right method would also depend on the cost involved in this process. You can basically make selection of anything between screen printing coffee mugs to modern transfer printing technique.
Mug printing for mass production
When you have to get started with mass production of mug printing, you can make the selection between:
- Screen printing- This type of mug printing involves making use of screen mesh and color dyes. The process also involves some technical know how to get started with.
- Dye Sublimation – This is ideal option if you don’t intend to do it in the long run. The process is ideal for anyone who plans to get started with mug printing at home.
- Transfer Printing – This is a type of screen printing, but little bit more advanced in technology. In this process the image is transferred manually by hand. If you are looking around for adding a lot of details, then this is ideal method for you to use. Besides, if the cup is convex or conical in shape, then this method is ideally suited.
- Digital printing – This is one method that is ideal in case you want to print mugs in big volumes. This is also ideal if you are looking around to customize any ceramic mug with your own photo. When using this method, you need to be professional in using the software technique in selecting colors.
How to print on mugs at home
To get started with making photo mug at home you don’t need any specialized training. The process just only takes little time and is exciting DIY exercise. You can try and add your personal image or any type of photo to the mug.
1 Select the right mug – This should ideally be your first step to get started. Before selecting it is best to select right color and shape of the mug. If you have selected one that has a regular shape, then it is best choice. Pick one that blends perfectly with the photo that you have selected.
- Avoid using mugs that have rough surfaces as image may not transfer perfectly from the printing paper to the mug. If you have selected one that does not have usual shape then transferring image may be difficult.
2 Select right image – It is ideal to select the photo that you want to image transfer on the mug. No matter what always ensure that the one you selected is right fit on the mug.
- Try and get the digital format of the image to ensure best transfer results. This type is also long lasting and durable.
3 Select right image size – Even before you print the image, you need to check with the size. It is important that the image fits well in the selected area on the mug. Avoid selecting big or small sized image.
- Before printing the image, you have to measure the right size. You can make use of print preview option when printing image. You can also resize the image before printing.
4 Use transfer paper – Before printing the image, you have to feed the printer with a transfer paper. This type of paper will ensure that the image prints on the mug for longer time. Avoid using regular printer paper.
- You can look around for transfer paper online or in a store nearby your home. Photo studios can provide you with quality transfer paper.
5 Use acrylic coating spray – You can find transfer paper that is already coated with acrylic coating film. Otherwise you can also purchase one from nearby store or hardware shop.
- You have to take extra caution when spraying the acrylic spray. It is important to try and cover the entire image for best results.
- Once coated, you may have to leave the image for some time so it can get dried up. It may take from few minutes to few hours, depending on the type of spray you have selected.
6 Soak image in water to apply – Once the coating on the image is dry then you just can give final touch to the image by resizing it. Dip the image in a bowl of water and then place it on the mug.
- To make it more effective, just dip the image in a bowl full of water and then place it on the mug where you want to print it.
7 let image dry naturally – Once the image has been placed on the mug, then you may have to leave it for drying for some time. The time for drying up may depend on the quality of the transfer paper used. You may have to read fine prints before getting started. Once the image is dry then you can wash the mug and decorate it or start using it.
How to print photo on mugs using electric iron
- First you have to select the right design and mug you want for printing. It is important to trim the design to right size.
- Even before you place the design on the mug, you have to clean the mug and dry it well so no grease is left on its top.
- You can place a soft towel under the mug for supporting it so it does not move when you print the image on it.
- Now you can heat the iron. The temperature setting may depend on the material of vinyl selected. You get different types of vinyl stickers in the market that are made up of different materials.
- Now place the image on the mug in the right position. Take the hot iron and place it on the mug. Keep it at least for 30 seconds. This process has to be repeated for entire design.
- Avoid using excess pressure or else the image may not appear as per your needs.
- The heat should just stick the glue to the mug. Once the design has been transferred then you can now use the mug.
How to print mugs by sublimation print
- First step to get started is to make the selection of blank mug. White colored mug is one best option as all colors may best be highlighted on white mug.
- You have to select the artwork that is printed on an inkjet printer. The print is coated with special dye that gets transferred on the mug. The transfer paper is also special paper that only holds the image before being transferred.
- Once you have selected the image, you just need to place it on the selected mug by wrapping around it. Make sure that image is mirrored backward as it should be transferred to the mug directly.
- Just select the right temperature and place the mug inside the heat press. By making use of heat the right level of pressure, the image will gently be transferred. So the moment heat is applied the image simply gets transferred to the mug.
- When using this method for transferring image, you have the benefit that the image will last for many years.
Working process and time for printing one mug
1 Selecting right image
- Before you get started, you have to get familiar with the work process. This may depend on the type of method you have selected for printing the mug.
- Sublimation is most effective but DIY people may also try out hot iron heat transfer method.
- Getting started with work process means selecting the right image. You can choose to download it via website. Most websites may provide you with best templates.
- The prints should be perfectly sized depending on the size of the mug. For best results you also need to keep in mind that the image should be set in such a position that some borders are left on the edges.
- Also when printing image, ensure that you have download the mirror image of the photo or template selected.
2 Selecting right mug
- You need to ensure that you have selected the right mug for the image transfer. The selection has to be made on the basis of the image selected. If you need to mass produce mugs then you can also purchase it from retailers or manufacturers directly.
3 Selecting right method
- Your selection of the right method may depend on how many mugs you want to print. If you are just thinking of printing one or two mugs for gifting to your friend, then heat transfer method may be best.
- If you want to print in big numbers then one of the two methods is ideal. They are also economical and do not need much technical knowledge.
4 Time for Printing one mug
The time may differ depending on factors like method selected, ink selected or even transfer paper selected. But in general, it may be from few minutes to few hours.
Raw material with Basic Cost
- The basic cost to get started with mug printing may vary from around Rs 26,000 to over Rs 1 lakh. The cost factor may depend on the type of printing machine you have selected.
- You may need to invest some money in purchasing start up products and raw materials. You may need a desk top or a lap top, software, Printer and other attachments.
- Other raw materials required are Plain mugs, Transfer paper, Tapes, and sublimation printing machine.
If you already have access to desk top and printer then this cost can be excluded. But still the overall start up cost for this business may vary from Rs 80,000 to over a few lakh, depending on your set up.
- The process of licensing may depend on the location of your business. To get started with establishing on large scale, you may have to apply for license at the local body office.
- As the business is considered as small scale business, so the time of license approval and the registration fee may not be much.
- Once the license has been approved by the local authority then you can set up your small scale printing unit at home or in industrial Gala.
Best mug Printing Machines
- Heat transfer and sublimations machines start from Rs 12,000 to 15,000. You can purchase them online via flip cart or other manufacturer websites.
- The process of using it is also very simple. You can just get started by follow few tutorials and instructions provided along with.
Once the mugs have been printed then you have to pack them for marketing. You can make use of soft paper, Styrofoam balls and card box for packing. As the cups are made up of ceramics, so they need to be protected when shipping.
Mug printing business for sale
- When searching online you may find many people help you set up the entire business in exchange for some fee.
- You can also look around for already established new mug printing business online and purchase it. This will help save your time that you may have to spend looking around for machine and materials.
- Printed mugs often are best gift items. So you can target people at the time of festival and celebrations.
- Personalized mugs are also preferred by people on anniversaries and Valentines Day. During this time you can advertise your services in different places.
Targeted area for marketing
It is important that you try and target the best customers. You can advertise your services online to target wide audience, or even advertise in your locality at various places like shopping malls, cake shops, gift shops.
- The business set up and investment is not much, if you start it on small scale. It also offers you with better profits as the cost of purchasing raw materials is not much.
- With the overall investment in purchasing blanks and other equipments you may expect at least 20 to 30 percent profits.
- If you are working with hot iron you have to take precaution not to burn your hand when printing.
- Sublimation printing machine also uses heat transfer method so you have to take precaution when handling the machine.
- If using acrylic spray avoid direct contact with eyes of mouth. If inhaled then you need to seek immediate health advice.
Mug printing business is an ideal business for people who look around for getting started with low investment. Besides, the business is in demand so you can ensure that by targeting right market you can also generate healthy profit with it.